Saturday, July 16, 2005

Books

I've just been perusing the first essay of Benjamin's Illuminations, hoping to find something on the topic of book ownership and property. One or two people I know have expressed interest in the question of whether owning books is different - elevated - from that of owning other sorts of thing. I was alarmed to notice my hesitation at the thought of anyone borrowing and reading a book that I own before I myself have read it.
- Why won't you lend it me?
- Because it's mine, all MINE!
I think need to have a close look at some Proudhon, or maybe just a hard look in the mirror...

Benjamin didn't really deal with any of this in his essay, but that didn't matter. He is such a good writer. I couldn't lay the book down, even to eat a biscuit.
After spending the year wading through half-baked analytic philosophy papers (that are not worthy of being called 'essays') which were only written in the first place to satisfy Research Assessment targets, it is refreshing how eager Benjamin is to convey his love of books and the thoughtful life. I look forward to reading more; I feel Benjamin has a lot to teach me.

No comments: