Monday, February 27, 2006

Sociality

"You're just saying that cos Elusive-Hyphen was making fun of Heidegger and Wittgenstein in his lecture the other day!"
How not to make friends in philosophy. Luckily, I was talking to Mon and P, so it was more a question of 'how much can I alienate these two lovable lads?'

P is getting in the habit of telling me to "stop taking cues from M," which is becoming(-?)irritating since I don't believe he realises the extent to which my views differ from M's.
Speaking of whom...

M introduced me to a friend of his, who gave me an easy ride until 10pm, then asked "what is your relation to women?" Uh-oh. I am not effusive on this topic at the best of times, let alone around someone I'm trying to impress through an (over)use of thoughtful silences.
She had found me lacking in character, a defect I tried at once to deny and defend. That was foolish.
"I'm not so-and-so, and if I am it is only because of such-and-such," I crumpled.

No comments: