Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Nick Land: the twilight years

It's the nineties. After another wacky thesis presentation by a Land acolyte, one senior philosophy department figure was heard to mutter "this can't go on..."

Sadly, it didn't. Though I can't imagine what all the fuss was about. I've just finished reading as fine an example of philosophic rigour and scholarship as I'll ever read: Land's heart-breaking portrayal, in Thirst for Annihilation, of God eating his own penis.
"I dream of the damnation I have so amply earned, stolen from me by the indolence of God," the scurrilous philosopher opines.

By the by, M rang me last night, and cast some aspersions on the view that Bataille or Land are 'radical'. He promised me an explanation when he returns in September. I look forward.

3 comments:

Siobhan said...

I would also dispute Bataille being radical (despite my love for him), he is, after all, quite firmly a Cathloic. (NL perhaps still caught up in latent Heidegerrianism?)

Siobhan said...

erm... I suggest that in order to avoid spammers you either block anonymous comments or move your comments to haloscan.

dogmat said...

i'll do just that, thanks gb