Monday, August 22, 2005

Champ de Bataille

Some time ago, I was engaged in a long running dispute with my former housemate - an Afghan - over whether religion was opposed to, or a cornerstone of, western capitalism. We were talking specifically about Islam, but I spoke to include Christianity. He claimed, as might be expected, that British society is based on excessive consumption, whereas I tried to argue that capitalist finance is underpinned by moderate excess. Good consumers are encouraged to overspend to a small degree each month, but to always pay their dues. Borrowed money must be returned.

Nick Land - to my delight - suggests that Bataille might agree, to some extent, with my view.
With Protestantism, Christianity is rationalized. The festivities of sacrifice and wastage are replaced by an attitude of moderation in all things. Extravagance is unsustainable, and as Land puts it, "nothing is more infectious than the passion for collapse."

I've also noticed what seems to be a remarkable historical coincidence of what Land calls the de-ritualizing and condemnation of the "transgressive outlets of society", and the move, described by Foucault, from spectacular punishment on the scaffold, to the rational discipline of the panopticon.

But enough of this nonsense - back to the books.

No comments: