Friday, May 12, 2006

Luce Irigaray part one

On Tuesday, Professeur(?) Irigaray gave a talk ('The path towards the other') at our university, which was followed by wine and dinner with her and the English department. I was fortunate enough to be invited.
Near the end of the evening, I infiltrated a small group of people talking to Irigaray. She asked me what I did at the university. I told her of my status, adding that I really enjoyed her lecture. Not satisfied with this formulaic response, she said: "Oh yeah? What part of the talk did you like?" The other people at the table erupted into comical derision: "You got rumbled...Tough break kid."
Fortified by the wine I'd been drinking all evening, I waved them away: "No no no, I will answer the question." I proceeded to say something about authentic communication with the other - which I now realise she couldn't really understand, since in my ardour I talked too fast.

A little later, she turned to quiz the (analytic) philosopher of literature sitting beside me. It was, erm, tricky: "I am interested in the knowledge we can gain from fiction...Woolf...ethics" the hapless anglo-americano mumbled.

After the main course, Irigaray managed to snaffle two desserts from the set menu. I heard our waitress being gently admonished by her supervisor - but her explanation for the freebie was simple: "Gift of the gab, innit."

No comments: