Monday, May 22, 2006

Dave Distiller: six reasons to

1) Distiller's exam had all my favourite questions: Bernard Williams and his S&M/torture obsession in 'The self and its future' - thought experiments are definitely making a comeback; analytic philosophy's very best faux-phenomenology; Dummett on Frege (who else?). The list goes on.

2) Trying his best to make Worms squirm (to be honest, I didn't see this with my own eyes). Even if Elusive-Hyphen forced him to organise that evening, and forced him to look like he was having fun, I don't mind. In the end I don't want any more of the analytics than that they invite a few speakers from France, and sit politely listening during their talk.

3) The man might have some taste. A little sparse for some eyes, but I would say that this is a fairly good image to have on the cover of one's book - admit it! (this is actually the editors copy of the proof after he'd finished reading it. Kidding.)

4) Distiller and I have had almost all our meaningful exchanges in the lavatory (no Axel, no Lila, not that).

5) Apparently he left Christminster because the atmosphere was too 'aggressive' (purely hearsay). Within a few months of arriving here he was nicknamed 'the Gauleiter'. Fast workers will always have a place under my wing.

6) Like Churchill, he marks essays on the exercise bike in the gym. 'Healthy body healthy mind' as Neechee used to say (and both at the same time!)

No comments: