Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Xavière

Sitting with my coffee, I began to listen to a conversation two students were having at the table next to mine (eavesdropping, I know, but unavoidable). I'd seen them come in; one had blonde hair, a slightly foreign accent and a russian-looking face (if there is such a thing). The other unmemorable: I don't remember. I could hear the accented voice talking about a man she was attracted to, but who was involved with someone else. "I don't want to break them up" she said. The friend mumbled platitudes.
"I'll make friends with him - surely there is nothing wrong with being friends." The unmemorable one didn't answer: it wasn't a rhetorical question to elicit advice, just a bold statement of fact.
I began to think of Xavière, Beauvoir's ill-fated character in She Came to Stay. I didn't like Xavière. She infuriated me.
My neighbour reminded me of Xavière: the terrible mixture of naivité and diabolical intent; the sense of impending disaster. She forces everyone who encounters her to realise that this world isn't a Schopenhauerian world.
One moment in her company will be infused with indescribable shades of exhilaration, followed by another of almost farcical exasperation.
'Suffering and boredom', my pessimistic German friend?

No comments: