Thursday, January 05, 2006

Is this a meme?

1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?
I began to write (essays, blog, etc) more regularly.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My new new year's resolution is below. I should also say that I don't want to put anything more on this blog about academic philosophy politics in 2006. I am not a gossip columnist.
I didn't have any resolutions last year.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No.

4. Did anyone close to you die? No.

5. What countries did you visit? Sweden and South Africa.

6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005? Excitement about returning to London to earn a living.

7. What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? None in particular.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? There wasn't any single achievement. I did one or two things which I am reasonably pleased about.

9. What was your biggest failure? Not working as hard at philosophy as I know I should've.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? No.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A book - probably Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. It was whilst reading this that I felt for the first time that I was being serious about thinking.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My brother's. He returned to school this year.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Ha! There are so many names.

14. Where did most of your money go? Coffee and fish-fingers.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Kant, Merleau-Ponty, Nietzsche, and (obviously, I hope) in a different way, New Orleans.

16. What song will always remind you of 2005? Bob Dylan's Maggie's Farm, just cos my Dad and my little sister got hooked on it over the holidays.

17. Compared to this time last year, I am... less interested in taking my own life.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of? I wish I'd tried a little harder to connect with people, especially strangers.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of? I could have done with less fatuous grumbling.

20. How will you be spending Christmas? With family in a town in the middle of South Africa, eating lebanese food.

21. Did you fall in love in 2005? I couldn't say.

22. How many one-night stands? Hmm, let's just say that my mind (and my body) doesn't function in a way that is conducive to drunken sex with strangers.

23. What was your favorite TV program? I was introduced to Arrested Development by my housemate Axel.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? Not really. Hatred, for me, is a fleeting emotion.

25. What was the best book you read? Tough. Two books which really opened up my thinking were Henri Lefebvre's Rhythmanalysis and Nietzsche's Gay Science. Another marvel was Thomas Bernhard's Concrete, which M recommended me.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery? There were quite a few. Jimi Hendrix and Bob Dylan, so far as pop music goes. Charlie Chaplin's compositions, which provide the soundtracks to his films, were a treat (the music for The Circus - what beauty!). Plus 'live' classical music; something which I have never really enjoyed before.

27. What did you want and get? An education.

28. What did you want and not get? An education.

29. What was your favorite film of this year? I've not seen many new releases. The best film I saw for the first time was possibly Renoir's La Regle du Jeu.

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I spent the time with my mother in London, I think.

32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? More reading.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005? Second-hand (including shoes, excluding underthings). Style never goes out of fashion and all that...

34. What kept you sane? Talking to close friends.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I found Judith Butler more than a little attractive. And then there was Alcibiades, in Plato's Symposium.

36. What political issue stirred you the most? I surprised to find that my warped weltanschauung was given credence by the events in New Orleans and Iraq.

37. Who did you miss? Various family members. My colleagues from the last job I had before taking up philosophy study full-time.

38. Who was the best new person you met? Brn.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005. Fuck that for a game of eggy soldiers.

With gracious thanks to Fort Kant.

No comments: