Sunday, September 18, 2005

Schopenhauer betrayed

A.C. Grayling is not a philosopher. Not even an analytic philosopher. He is nothing more than a greedy thief. What's more, he isn't brave enough to steal from the living - he can only take from the dead.
After Private Eye exposed the worthlessness of his newspaper column some time ago, I believed that I couldn't think any worse of the pathetic little man. Since he taught me Introduction to Philosophy a few years back, he has produced a steady stream of pop philosophy excrement.
Now this:



I have a great desire to feel his skull crackling beneath the heel of my boot. Let me explain: above, we have an image of the spine of his latest publishing venture, The Art of Always Being Right. The only problem is that the book wasn't written by Grayling at all. Arthur Schopenhauer penned it. Grayling only provided an introduction (he didn't even translate it).

The publishers are obviously trying to promote this vomitous-looking volume to the kind of ignorant fools who couldn't tell Shlegel from Smeagol. Putting the name 'Schopenhauer' on the spine (which is what most customers see first) would be commercial madness. Such a reasonable explanation - the rationality of the profit-margin. Nonetheless, I cannot describe the rage that filled my soul when I saw this abomination on the shelf. I have never experienced such a pure feeling of hate. All I can say is that I hope those involved with the publication of this book suffer a slow and painful death.

No comments: